Well, as you all probably now know, Shonda Rhimes decided to try to ruin all of our lives last Thursday when she had to audacity to kill off Dr. Derek Shepherd, aka McDreamy, on Grey’s Anatomy. Grey’s fans practically broke Twitter with grief, fury, and even a few death threats!
For my part, I was devastated. After drowning my sorrows in a bottle of wine and a bag of Cheetos, I went to bed. Getting out of bed the next morning was like Izzie getting off the floor in her prom dress. For that one split second between sleeping and waking, I thought it was all a McDream. But of course, it wasn’t. The first thing I need to say is this: to all the One Direction fans who sobbed uncontrollably when Zayn left the band, I apologize for mocking you. I get it now. At the moment Derek died, I was crying, screaming, and throwing stuff across the room. I think my family thought I had gone temporarily insane. Maybe I did!
And then of course, comes the inevitable anger. The way his death played out was a huge slap in the face to all the MerDer fans out there. He saves 4 lives, and then gets hit by a huge semi-truck?! He survived a shooting, a plane crash, and then dies in some second-rate hospital because some dumb surgeon was too busy eating dinner?! Seriously? That’s McCrap!! My biggest problem with it was that there was no epic MerDer goodbye scene. He was just gone. Hey, Shonda Rhimes? I’d like the last 10 years of my life back. If you can’t give me that, you at least owe me hundreds of dollars of Kleenex and money for future therapy bills!
Sadly, all the crying in the world won’t bring McDreamy back, so instead I am posting my tribute to him: 15 McAwesome life lessons that he taught me. R.I.P. Derek, I will miss you! MerDer forever!
15. It’s crucial to ask the important questions when it comes to your future children.
14. Apparently even world-renowned neurosurgeons can die of a brain bleed.
13. It’s important to always keep your promises.
12. A father that is culturally sensitive to his adopted child’s heritage, is a GREAT father.
11. Occasionally you just have to teach others how to live life.
10. It turns out you can have it all: An amazing career, a wonderful family, AND fantastic hair!
9. Sarcasm is always a good way to start an important relationship talk.
8. If someone isn’t doing what you want them to, coercion is always a good fallback.
7. You just have to be honest with your loved ones, even if you might hurt their feelings.
6. Always be optimistic in the face of adversity.
5. Don’t make promises you can’t keep…
4. Even sexy, genius, romantic, super-surgeons are indeed, flawed. (This was news to me too)
3. When you’re a proper and sophisticated man, there is only one drink of choice.
2. There’s nothing sexier than an elevator.
1. It’s great to be a strong, independent woman, but it’s even better to have someone who gets you by your side.